Wednesday, April 22, 2009

1st post in a while, and other random things

Sorry people... I haven't been able to post recently because of my lack of ambition. But, hey, I've returned, so sit back and enjoy.

Saw a few movies recently... I'll give you the Lima thoughts...

The Bank Job - just saw this movie the other night. A great movie. Good action and fairly likable characters. Set in London, this movie reminded me of the Guy Ritchie films. Definitely worth a rent.

Batman - the Dark Knight - I'm a little late on this one, as it seems everyone has seen it already, but it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I will admit, though, that I don't understand the draw of Batman as a super hero. In fact, I'm not sure how Batman survives. He doesn't have any real
"super power", yet he somehow can get beat up and fall 15 stories and not get injured. The newer movies have him in that armor which would appear to totally impact is ability to fight. When you look at all the "super heroes" out now, with REAL powers like the ability to fly, pick up cars, levitate stuff, I just wonder why people like batman. I've watched a bunch of the movies (it seems like Batman is the favorite to make movies) and I don't get the draw. And another thing... I like the idea of making the movies... but when these producers and directors try to make the movie REALISTIC and then have the hero run around in a costume with a cape it just seems silly! Would a superhero really run around the city in a black and red spider outfit? Really? We want to make the movies seem dark and realistic, and then have the hero put on tights to beat the bad guys. Am I the only one that thinks that is dumb?

Tropic Thunder - I was really looking forward to this movie. I bought the DVD from Blockbuster (a used version for $12) instead of renting it. I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong... it was enjoyable... but with all the hype I was expecting Caddyshack meets Full Metal Jacket. All in all it was good, but not amazingly funny. Robert Downey Jr was awesome in the movie, however. He is a great actor, too bad he lost all that time in a drug-induced slumber. He could have really put together a great career if he were sober from 1987 - 2001. Anyway, good movie in general but falls into the Ben Stiller trap... you know, a movie that is really pretty funny but gets kinda stupid at times and stops it from being a classic.

Madagascar 2 - this was a good movie. A good continuation of the 1st movie. I think the beating up of the old woman (who, as being portrayed as a New Yorker I would usually be in favor of) is a little over the top, especially for a kid's movie. Other than that it was really fun. Definitely a keeper.


Be kind... rewind... Wow, this was a weird movie. I thought the idea was awesome when I saw commercials. Looked like it would be really funny. Instead, it was kind of a borderline depressing movie that was just plain strange. I watched the entire movie (which is more than I can say for the next movie) and was mildly entertained, but it was so far from what I expected that I think I watched more out of morbid curiosity than actual interest. It really didn't even have a good ending since the store owner lost his business anyway. This is the kind of movie that started out as a great idea, the writer starts writing it and about 1/3 of the way in doesn't like the movie any more. Unfortunately, the movie production company already bought it so the writer has to finish it and we end up with a bunch of junk wrapped around a cool idea. I honestly think the people who created the trailers for this movie had to use more creatively that the writer of the actual movie in order to get people interested in this...

Don't Mess With the Zohan - ummm... how about you take your crappy movie and give me back the $3.00 I spent renting it... this was so bad that I turned it off 20 minutes in... maybe I wasn't the target audience. I just couldn't get into this at all... I don't even know what to say, other than "don't mess with this movie".

By the way... I was searching for information about Michael Crichton on Google and came across a fascinating aberration. (At least to me.) You know how Google now starts to give you possible results from your search while you type it in? Kinda like it is guessing what you are asking about? Well, if you type in "Michael" (don't hit enter) here is the list that will show up:

michaels
michael crichton
michael jackson
michael savage
michael jordan
michael buble
michaels coupon
michaels store locator
michael kors
michael phelps


Ok, call me crazy but Michael Crichton is the 2nd thing to show up??? Are we serious??? Of all the important "Michaels" in the world Michael Crichton is the 2nd most important? He is the 2nd most relevant? Wow... in fact, I would suggest that none of the listed are that important, but Michael Cichton? In front of Michael Jordan? Michael Jackson? How about some important Michaels? What about Michael the Archangel? He was pretty special. Or, Michelangelo? I think he was kind of an important guy (ok, that is spelled differently). And let's face it - 3 of the results I listed are for Michael's Craft Store. Wow... what a world we live in.


No comments: